One of the most important documents a legal OFW must have before leaving the Philippines after vacation is his or her Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) which can be applied in any POEA offices and satellite centers nationwide. This new appointment system program of POEA is a good and convenient way of applying OEC for all returning OFW for the coming Christmas season.
Many OFW spend their Christmas and New Year holidays with their loved ones in the Philippines. Thus, many will need to apply for their OEC. Every time an OFW return home, he or she must always apply for an OEC. Without this document, you will not be allowed to leave the Philippines.
If you want to set up an appointment to apply for an OEC, you can visit directly the website of POEA dedicated for this system at www.bmappointment.poea.gov.ph. The regular requirements for OEC application are the following:
- Valid Passport – must be at least 6 months from the date of departure
- Proof of Employment returning to same employer (e.g., Employment Contract, Certificate of Employment/Company ID/Pay slip)
Fees for OEC Application
The following fees should be paid by returning OFW when applying for an OEC.
- POEA Processing Fee – P 100 per e-Receipt or OEC
- OWWA Membership Contribution – $ 25 USD (in peso equivalent) per contract coverage
- Philhealth Contribution – P 1,200 one year coverage
- PAG-IBIG Contribution – P 100 minimum amount per month
Procedures for Application
Here’s the procedure when applying for an OEC. Please remember all of the fees you need to pay before going to POEA so that you have the enough money.
1. Set up an appointment at http://bmonline.ph/. You need to fill out some details and be sure to put correct and true details about you and your employment. Print the filled out form and bring it when you go to POEA office.
2. Go to the POEA office where you set up an appointment and follow the procedures. Go directly to the designated Balik Manggagawa OEC Appointment Center. You should bring all the requirements mentioned above and the fees you need to pay. Bring also 2 printed copies of the appointment form.
3. After the application is complete, you can get your OEC after the payment. A sample OEC can be seen below.
As an OFW, you should never forget to apply for an OEC when you return to the Philippines for vacation. It is always a must. The POEA appointment system for OEC application is a very good and convenient system because you don’t need to line up for a long time in POEA office especially when you go to Ortigas office.
I hope many programs like this will be created in the future. It would be a lot better if POEA can make a system which you can apply an OEC online so that wherever you are, you can apply for an OEC. Though, this can be hard but I think doable with the new technology we have these days.